BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 4, 2011

Irish Soda Bread~Food for Friday~3*4*11

Thanks to my Maternal Grandpa, I have a wee bit of Irish blood coursing through my veins. Seeing as how it is just right around the corner, todays recipe will be in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

Irish Soda Bread
makes one 8-inch round loaf

1 tablespoon butter, softened
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 425. With a pastry brush coat a baking sheet evenly with the tablespoon of softened butter.

Sift the flour, soda and salt together into a deep mixing bowl. Gradually add 1 cup of the buttermilk, beating constantly with a large spoon until the dough is firm enough to be gathered into a ball. If the dough crumbles, beat up to 1/2 cup more buttermilk into it by the tablespoon until the particles adhere.

Place the dough on a lightly floured board, and pat and shape it into a flat circular loaf about 8 inches in diameter and 1 1/2 inches thick. Set the loaf on the baking sheet. Then with the tip of a small knife, cut a 1/2-inch-deep X into the dough, dividing the top of the loaf into quarters.

Bake the bread in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve at once.

“May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live”
~Irish Blessing~


~Felinae~

6 comments:

Kathie said...

Hi Felinae,
Just heading out to the pet store, glad I read this first I love Irish Soda bread so am going to grab some buttermilk while I'm out. I'm not the best baker but this looks easy enough even for me, Wish me luck! And hope you have a good weekend!

Felinae said...

Hi Kathie,

OK, wishing you luck, it'll turn out fine, I'm sure. :)

Thanks for stopping in today; I hope you have a good weekend too!

WomanWhoRunsWithHorses said...

Sounds very easy. I've never tasted it but if I haven't run across a 'bread' yet that I didn't like! LOL

Almost sounds like you're making a giant biscuit!

: )

Felinae said...

Irish Soda Bread is kind of an acquired taste.

It does sound like a giant biscuit. LOL! Now that you mention it, it kinda looks like one. :)

Hugs~Fel~

SciFiChick said...

I've never tried Irish Soda Bread but with my newly found interest in breads I am going to have to try this. Thanks!

Felinae said...

You are welcome, Sci. :)

Have a good weekend!

♥ and hugs
~Fel~